Never Buy Fruit from Strangers.

So yesterday I heard a knock on the door.  A man spoke to me at a thousand-words-a-minute describing the abundance of fruit and vegetables that his family grows.  He said that they come around "only three times a year" and that it's fresh and organic.  He offered a sampling of each kind, so thinking that I could just buy one or two I accepted the invite.  The man cried out - "Hey! We have one!" and a woman walked to approach me from down the street.  I grabbed Levi as Cam was napping and met her outside.  The lady complimented me and said that "I'm cute like my son" and quickly started cutting a part of each piece for me to sample.  She kept handing me samples even though I was out of hands to accept.

She talked just as fast as the young man so I mostly nodded and smiled, politely saying "this is good" every once in awhile.  Then she gave me the low down and tried to sell me a large box for $90!  I was quick to think of excuses (I can't afford it...I don't live here...I don't have cash...I'm just the nanny...I just want to buy one piece...etc. etc...) but she did NOT take no for an answer.  She started negotiating with me and explained that she had "three on the way and just got divorced" also including her unfavorable living situation with so-and-so.  I asked her to come back later and she said "no we are on our way back to town so we're closing up."  She was all dirty and sweaty and I just wanted her to go away!  At that point she offered $40 for half a box and explained how the neighbor just bought some as well.  So at this point I felt forced to finally give her a yes and wrote a check.  The samples were tasty and my in-laws are visiting this weekend, so naturally I tried to justify why $40 was a fair price.  

When Lindley returned home I explained how I got suckered in.  Being the thoughtful person that she is, she offered to split the goods with me.  When I got home I told Neal that I had a surprise for the family.  He picked up a piece or two and took a closer look.   He said, "There are stickers.  They didn't grow these!" took a bite, and was NOT impressed.  He immediately assumed that I got scammed.  We sampled each piece to confirm that the fruit was no good - at which point I called Lindley for an update and fair warning.  I asked "have you tried the fruit yet?"  And she replied with "Shut Up!" immediately knowing that we were scammed!  She laughed and hoped that our hard-earned money went toward something good for their family and NOT drugs.

Moral of the story:  never answer the door and NEVER buy fruit from strangers!    

1 comments:

  1. There is a sucker born everyday! So funny though! Randy and I are laying here laughing so hard. Thank you for sharing ;)

Post a Comment